Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Bono, Jack Miller, and Andrew Pendley

The merging of thoughts:
1.) My Guilt
Recently as i've been preparing to teach a discipleship course on "Experiencing Grace" I've been accused by my enemy. "Rob, you should teach how to build skyscrapers... you've come closer to that than to 'experiencing grace'...."

2.) This morning while driving Andrew toward school we listened to a brief portion of a Jack Miller lecture on experiencing the grace of God. I think there was some part of me passively saying, "Son, here is a guy who knew Jesus. I wish I did. Listen to him and know the Jesus Jack Miller knew."

3.) Then i remembered a quote i came across last night (in a good article on U2's music)

As Bono stated on Larry King Live, “I cannot live up to the songs that I write and that we play in U2. I’d like to say that I do and I want to [but] I’m not like that as a person. That’s why I’m writing those songs. That’s what I aspire to become.”

Bono has said that he was drawn to Martin Luther King and Jesus because they were men of peace and he wasn’t
.

And i remembered hearing in a Rolling Stone interview with Bono that he was very given to violence as a youth and still struggles mightily with it.

SO... (here's how an scattered guy experiences grace)

It doesn't have to be hypocritical to teach on something you are seeking... it can be HOPEFUL. And somewhere in the process i realized... that it was Jesus who binds all 4 of us together. Bono, Jack Miller, Andrew Pendley, and me.