Sunday, February 03, 2008

Tomorrow is "Fat Tuesday"

What to make of Lent? This is difficult for many people.
There is no biblical command to observe Lent and therefore you don't have to do anything.
There is a human tendency to create a religious system by which to feel right with God, and some use Lent to that wrong end.

So why bother? I have found that I need every chance I need to "start over". So I will enter this Lenten season with a renewed commitment to:
-- look to the cross as my righteousness
-- give up my idolatry
-- find my identity in Christ
-- love my neighbor
-- etc
And I might just decide to cut out something I love as a constant reminder that whatever I cut out is usually far more "lovely" to me than is Christ and His gospel. So... if you want to do some thinking on Lent... here are some links.

Lent begins with Ash Wednesday on February 6th
--Higgins article here

Oh, by the way... the idea of "Fat Tuesday" is this, in my understanding...
Lent is the period when you say, "God burn off the dross of my sin. Remove anything that hinders me from knowing the depth of your love for me and your world." Well, Fat Tuesday is when you realize... I will go crazy and grow neurotic during this time of repentance if I don't bathe myself in the love of God... God provides me an ongoing feast of grace. Only a person full of the love of God can truly have the emotional wealth to look at his/her sin. At least that is my understanding.

Blog Archive