Monday, August 20, 2007

What's Up With 3 days of Prayer & Fasting

"Dad, I can't not eat for 3 days!!"

That was the response i got from one of my children when i asked, "What are you thinking of fasting from?"

So i offer these q and a:
Does 3 days of Prayer & Fasting mean I'm not supposed to eat anything for three days? Probably not

What does it mean?
Hopefully that you will temporarily abstain from

What are some reasons to fast?
I have heard fasting described as a "splash of water in the face"
Is there a sin that just isn't grievous to you?

Give me examples of what you expect some to do?
Someone who hits Starbucks daily will skip it FOR THIS PURPOSE on one or all 3 of the days.
Someone who eats cereal every night before bed will skip it FOR THIS PURPOSE on one or all 3 of the days.
Someone who watches TV every night will skip it FOR THIS PURPOSE on one or all 3 of the days.
Someone who jogs with their Ipod will run in silence FOR THIS PURPOSE on one or all 3 of the days.
You get the picture, I hope. Basically you are looking for ways to remind yourself... I don't want life as normal. I want to "shake myself" a little in order to ask God to thoroughly shake me for His glory.

God often uses fasting to awaken godly desires that have been dormant. God often uses fasting to bring an awareness of the heinousness of our sin. God often uses fasting to teach us more the depth of His love for us.

So..... that is one of the reasons we are looking at next week including 3 days of prayer & fasting.

Blog Archive