Saturday, April 19, 2008

Sleep as an Act of Repentance

To go to sleep is to say, "You are God and I'm not." And what I think follows is a willingness to say, "You, therefore, have wisdom that I lack." A prayer that might flow:

God, you know how I struggle with contentment. Much of this flows from the fact that I'm simply dissatisfied with the way you've got my life handled right now. Seems to me that things would be so much better & easier if you would just get on board with the world I want!

Now, I move towards sleep saying that I realize afresh that I'm the creature and you're the Creator. It hurts to know that your way is best and yet I want it. Deep down I really want it. Give me hope in the pain. Forgive me for my whining. By faith, I spew the poison of self-pity from my mouth. I drink in the reminder that you are working all things together for my good. I rest in that. I rest in you.

Blog Archive