Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hold People Lightly

As people move away from Gainesville.... 'tis the season to ask how we will respond. Options abound:
-- Get cynical
-- Refuse to befriend new people
-- Trust God and believe this life is fleeting.... and one way to do that is described below:

The phrase "hold people lightly" is an old one, born of the truth that God brings certain individuals into your life for a season. No one stays permanently. Friends move away or find other friends. Children grow up and leave home. Even a spouse eventually dies. In the familiar words of Ecclesiastes, "To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under Heaven." (3:1)


But if my life is rooted in the love of Christ, then friendships and relationships are what they are-gifts for a season to be received and enjoyed. If I cling or hold on for dear life, the relationship will crumble in my hand. If I hold people lightly, my friend is not required to take my advice or accept my help. I can love someone without pulling from her more than she wants to give. Holding people lightly is a huge part of loving well.

--from Paula Rinehart's Better Than My Dreams...Finding what you long for where you might not think to look....

Blog Archive