Thursday, July 03, 2008

This my friends, is what idolatry can feel like

Every night you are trying to prove your self-worth…you want to be the absolute best, wittiest, smartest, most charming, best-smelling version of yourself. If I can make people enjoy the experience and have a higher regard for me when I’m finished, it makes me feel like an entire person. If I come short of that, I’m not happy. How things go for me every night is how I feel about myself for the next 24 hours.
— David Letterman

I am NOT throwing stones at Letterman... he is one of us!  The addicted & insecure.  The ones who are looking for acceptance and longing to be righteous.  The question is NOT, in my opinion, whether or not you struggle with Letterman is talking about... you do.  The question is: "Are you aware of those wells from which you seek to slake your thirst?  Are your friends aware of them?  Are you repenting from them or thinking that one more drink will satisfy.  Rescue us from ourselves, Jesus."

Ways people try to define themselves:
-- How goes my late-nite TV show?
-- How goes my preaching, teaching, leading?
-- What do people think of my kids/marriage/reputation?
-- How is the portfolio?
-- Am I on the team?  In the starting line-up?
-- Have I been published?  How many times?

-- etc



Blog Archive