Thursday, September 13, 2007

What does a teacher make?

Taylor Mali is a teacher and Slam Poet who makes me cry. Especially his essay/poem called, "What Teacher's Make".....
I don't know if it hits me so deeply b/c:
-- I was raised by a teacher
-- I have 3 children who have, like, 10-12 teachers in school
-- I feel the vision for a renewed kingdom of God when Taylor Mali speaks... what if Christians valued children the way this guy does? what if I did?

Excerpt: You want to know what I make?

I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
I can make a C+ feel like a Congressional medal of honor
and an A- feel like a slap in the face.
How dare you waste my time with anything less than your very best.

you can read it here or
Watch the 3 minute video here

Respond by doing one of these:
--writing one of your children's teachers (at school, church, or your spouse!)
--pray for the 15 or so folks at CCC who mission every weekday in the elementary & middle schools (do we have any high school teachers?)
-- going after your kids in a way you haven't in a while... praying zealously that God would give them grace to see Christ, His Kingdom and His World in all its beauty & brokenness and be caught up in the wonder of it all


Oh, by the way, there's about 3.5 curse words in his 1000 or so word essay.... i warned you

Blog Archive