Friday, June 27, 2008

Last week we ended here:

Jesus asks disciples: "Who do y'all say that I am?”

Peter answered him, “You are the Christ.”

And he strictly charged them to tell no one about him. Why did Jesus do this? Many possible reasons but the one that I find most persuasive is that--although the disciples have now "gotten it" that their leader & friend is the Messiah... they have yet to "get it" as to what that means... will he overthrow Rome? Will he make them his powerful "cabinet" as he rules? They don't understand his MISSION. Freeze there. How often I forget Jesus' mission, in the world and in my life. We forget that He has redeemed us to make us holy and think his mission is our comfort. I think He's come to give me what I want... but He's come to wean me from finding life away from Him and His provision. I forget that the abundant life He's given me is often very painful. How about you?

So, this week Jesus begins to tell us WHY he came... what kind of Messiah be he?

Jesus Foretells His Death and Resurrection

31 And he began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes and be killed, and after three days rise again. 32 And he said this plainly.

Blog Archive