Sunday, June 22, 2008

We cannot see ourselves aright

Since each of us still has sin remaining in us, we will have pockets of
spiritual blindness. Our most important vision system is not our physical
eyes. We can be physically blind and live quite well. But when we are
spiritually blind, we cannot live as God intended. Physically blind people
are always aware of their deficit and spend much of their lives learning to
live with its limitations. But the Bible says that we can be spiritually blind
and yet think that we see quite well. We even get offended when people act
as if they see us better than we see ourselves! The reality of spiritual
blindness has important implications for the Christian community. The
Hebrews passage [Heb. 3:13] clearly teaches that personal insight is the
product of community. I need you in order to really see and know myself.
Otherwise, I will listen to my own arguments, believe my own lies, and buy
into my own delusions.
My self-perception is as accurate as a carnival
mirror. If I am going to see myself clearly, I need you to hold the mirror of
God’s Word in front of me. --Paul Tripp

Blog Archive