Friday, November 21, 2008

Quotes from the study

A legalistically faultless life lived without fellowship with God would be hollow. But a flawed life which struggles to maintain communion with God is still pleasing to Him and may be full of vital spirituality. --Richard Lovelace, Renewal

Mortification makes stronger our grasp of our justification and sonship, since only as we see more of the magnitude of our sin can we see more the magnitude of His grace. On the other hand, looking at our justification makes mortification deeper, since only as our conscience is infused with grace can we have the security to acknowledge the full extent of our sin.
--Tim Keller

If I may speak my own experience, I find that to keep my eye simply on Christ, as my peace and my life, is by far the hardest part of my calling. . . . It seems easier to deny Self in a thousand instances of outward conduct, than in it ceaseless endeavors to act as a principle of righteousness and power.

-- John Newton

Blog Archive