Monday, June 15, 2009

Thinking of Idolatry and Zephaniah

I (RP) copied this from a guy named Justin:

Jesus Christ is the only and all-sufficient Savior. However, sometimes (most of the time?) we look to other things to satisfy and fulfill us.

Jerry Bridges and Bob Bevington help us identify our functional saviors with these questions (The Bookends of the Christian Life, p. 73):

-I am preoccupied with __________.
-If only _________, then I would be happy.
-I get my sense of significance from ____________.
-I would protect and preserve __________ at any cost.
-I fear losing _________.
-The thing that gives me the greatest pleasure is _________.
-When I lose ______ I get angry, resentful, frusturated, anxious, or depressed.
-For me, life depends on ____________.
-The thing I value more than anything in the world is _________.
-When I daydream, my mind goes to ___________.
-The best thing I can think of is __________.
-The thing that makes me want to get out of bed in the morning is ________.

You would be wise to spend some time filling in the blanks and repenting of these idols and false saviors.

RP adds: And we would do well to remember that Jesus saves sinners, like you and me! (For every 1 look at your sin take 10 looks at the cross!)

Blog Archive