Wednesday, September 06, 2006

What produces true holiness?

From horatius bonar (with RP add ins):
The love of God to us, and our love to God, work together for producing holiness in us. Terror ("God will get me if I don't straighten up.") accomplishes no real obedience. Suspense ("Am I loved and accepted by God? Maybe this act of 'obedience' will secure it... maybe.") brings forth no fruit unto holiness. Only the certainty of love, forgiving love, can do this. It is this certainty ("Jesus has purchased me and made me acceptable to God... I'm good with God!") that melts the heart, dissolves our chains, disburdens our shoulders, so that we stand erect, and makes us to run in the way of the divine commandments.

--came across this while prepping for Discipleship Course tonite at 7:15pm at Hope Church

Blog Archive