Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Why my car radio ain't set on "Christian" radio

Is Mary J. Blige a Christian? Is U2 a Christian band? As my young children have begun to pick up a taste for music... (and they have at least one foot deeply in the "Christian subculture"--which can be very dangerous spiritually)... they start to ask me questions like these.

How do you begin to answer this question?

Here is a 2 minute video that helps explain...national2006_driscoll_interview12.mov (video/quicktime Object)

and here's my personal answer
There is no such thing as "Christian" music. There are songs that are true and songs that are not true. Songs that are true, whether they are written or sung by a person who has a personal relationship with Jesus or not!--are to be approved, enjoyed, meditated upon, and learned from

Songs that are not true, even if written by Billy Graham himself! or some cool "Christian" band... these are to be rejected, and definately not taking up space on your ipod.

So Dad, you mean I have to think when i'm listening to music? Uh-huh (as John Mellancamp once said!)

Derek Webb has a great line in his song NEW LAW that gets at the weird desire Christians have to turn their brains off.

Don’'t teach me about truth and beauty
just label my music
don’t teach me how to live like a free man
just give me a new law
i don’t wanna know if the answers aren’t easy
so just bring it down from the mountain to me


Examples:
If you've never heard Alanis Morrisette sing "Precious Illusions"
then you are missing out on perhaps THE BEST capturing of the unrealistic expectations we humans can bring into our relationships.... And the last time i check alanis was still rejecting her Roman Catholic upbringing

Conversely...
Developing...

Blog Archive