Monday, December 10, 2007

Just some simple notes

Great book with the cheesiest cover ever... (sidenote: the same is true of a book called "Raising a Christian Daughter in an MTV world)

from time to time i try to read a book by Paul Tripp called, "Age of Opportunity: Parenting a Teenager." I think i always put it down because I realize... "I need much more work than my son does!" Anyway,
this morning i was looking and and started outlining
Chapter 5 Parents, Meet Your Teenager

Tendencies of teens, from proverbs
1. No hunger for wisdom or correction
A. We cannot give in and let teen set the agenda for our relationship
B. Easy for them to be defensive
3 ways to help secure them when they are defensive:
1st 'i am not against you......for u'
2nd Help them examine their defensiveness... if it is true you can say, "I haven't raised my voice or threatened anything. Why do you think there's tension in the room?"
3rd confess my sin & express confidence in Christ that He's forgiven me... let your teen see that confession leads to freedom

that is the first of about 6 tendencies... i may never blog about another one... knowing my ADD... but perhaps this might send some of you to buy the book

Finally, my highest recs for children's books are:
Shepherding a Child's Heart... balances teaching your young ones that they are under authority but also gives parents a vision for reaching their heart
Parenting without Perfection... nuff said?
Age of Opp
How Parents Raise Children by Dan Allender.... don't get me started... Allender thinks that God gives us the perfect children to draw out sin in us so that God can sanctify us... and that is mysteriously the very vehicle God uses to draw our children to Him

Blog Archive