Thursday, December 13, 2007

Watching an elderly man bust a move

There really is nothing sweeter, is there? than watching someone you thought to ONLY be distinguished, wise, and formal... bust a move on the dance floor.

That is how I felt reading this article from Richard Gaffin. I've long respected him from afar and he's helped me tremendously form my understanding of the Bible's teachings on certain matters... but I stumbled across his sermon on my text for Sunday and read this:

We tend to think of Christ as a divine being who is far removed from us. But he has become one with us, and he has been tempted, really and truly, just like you and I in every respect, but with one important difference–he did not yield to temptation. He overcame temptation. And so "he is able to help those who are being tempted" (2:18).

Jesus knows the desert, with the stresses and temptations that you and I are exposed to. He knows it by his own intimate experience. And so Jesus also knows something that some who call themselves Calvinists overlook. He knows that the certainty of our salvation does not cancel out the seriousness of our present situation. He knows that only those who endure to the end are going to be saved (Mt. 24:13). And he knows that enduring to the end is not something that happens automatically. He knows that for us to endure to the end will not happen without prayer. In particular, it will not happen without his prayer.

That really helps me see Jesus as my priest and how valuable it is to have a priest like Him. And puts my heart right out there on the dance floor with Dr. Gaffin!

Blog Archive