Thursday, March 11, 2010

So often I come in on a Sunday morning and I don’t feel like singing. How would you encourage someone in my place?



When I don’t feel like singing it’s usually because I haven’t been thinking much about who God is and what He’s done for us in Christ. Some situation, relationship, or event seems more important to me than the fact that Jesus came into the world to save rebellious sinners and reconcile them to God, and that I’m one of them. How can I not want to sing about that!
So the first thing I’d do is confess my distraction to God. I can tell him that I haven’t been loving him with my whole heart, soul, mind, and strength. Then I’d receive his full and complete forgiveness through Christ. God doesn’t hold my sin against me. Jesus bore it on the cross. Then, I’d start to think about the words I’m singing and direct my thoughts towards the greatness and goodness of God. If for some reason the lyrics aren’t helping me, I’ll start rehearsing the basic truths of the gospel and the promises of God. Before too long, my perspective changes and I feel like singing again.


good stuff from Bob Kauflin

Blog Archive