Monday, September 13, 2010

a happy exposition of the dignity and glory that the Lord showers on women

excerpt from book by Jerram Barrs, my professor @ Covenant Seminary



This book is a happy exposition of the dignity and glory that the Lord showers on women. Its aim is to encourage women to delight in their creation, redemption, and calling and to challenge men to honor women as does the Lord himself. My hope is that many men, especially pastors and teachers, will read this book and be challenged by it, in addition to the book giving great encouragement
to women. My special prayer is that younger women who are becoming disenchanted with the church and with the Christian faith will be sufficiently encouraged by the book to embrace their faith much more wholeheartedly. I long for men to treat their wives, and women in general, better.
Many women experience discrimination and poor treatment in their churches and in their homes. In conservative circles this is sometimes defended and justified by specious appeals to Scripture. I am thoroughly conservative in my approach to Scripture, but I passionately believe that Scripture teaches our equality and mutual dependence. Some will be troubled that I do not devote a chapter to the so-called “restrictive passages” (1 Corinthians 11 and 14 and 1 Timothy 2) and to the issue of who should be pastors and elders with teaching and ruling authority in the churches. I have taught on this subject in many settings, and if anyone wishes to know my views on this, they can find them in a series of lectures on “Women in Church” and “Women in Society” that are available on Covenant Seminary’s website (www.covenantseminary.edu). However, my aim in this book was not to address that issue, a subject on which many volumes have been written, but to look at the far more extensive material in Scripture about God’s love and respect for women, material that is often neglected. My prayer is that the Lord will use this book to be an encouragement to both women and men, for we all need to see women through God’s eyes.

buy it here:
http://www.crossway.org/product/9781433502248

Blog Archive