Sunday, January 09, 2011

Exodus Big picture

  The beginning of the former book shows us how God formed the world for himself; the beginning of this shows us how he formed Israel for himself, and both to show forth his praise, Isaiah 43:21.the people whom I formed for myself that they might declare my praise. 

 There we have the creation of the world in history, here the redemption of the world in type.


 There are more types of Christ in this book than perhaps in any other book of the Old Testament; for Moses wrote of him, John 5:46 (For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me.).   The way of man's reconciliation to God, and coming into covenant and communion with him by a Mediator, is here variously represented; and it is of great use to us for the illustration of the New Testament, now that we have that to assist us in the explication of the Old.



Blog Archive