Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Keller, One Thing, and Heart Idolatry

"My fears are directly proportional to the vulnerability of the things that are my greatest joys."
--Tim Keller

"Anything but God and His will is vulnerable." --TK


Again, this passage makes us ask--what are our idols? What are good things that we've let become our ONE thing.

There is a book coming out this summer which promises to be very helpful. Written by Dan Allender & Tremper Longman... Breaking the Idols of Your Heart
"This book uses the category of 'idols' as a creative way to understand not only a difficult biblical book (Ecclesiastes) but also the very way our hearts work. It brings a great deal of clarity where there has been confusion. Recommended."

—Tim Keller, Redeemer Presbyterian Church, New York City


Table of Contents
Introduction: Searching for Meaning

1. Chasing After Power: "I Can Control My World"
2. Chasing After Relationships: "Relationships Bring Me Fulfillment"
3. Chasing After Work and Money: "Money Gives Me Freedom"
4. Chasing After Pleasure: "Pleasure Satisfies Me"
5. Chasing After Wisdom: "Knowledge Will Put Me on Top"
6. Chasing After Spirituality: "My Spiritual Life Will Save Me"
7. Chasing After Immortality: "I Will Have a Long Life if I Take Care of My Body"

Conclusion: Finding Abundant Life

Blog Archive