Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What solemn tidings reach our ears!

Went to a funeral today. So amazing to be present at the mournful joy of a Christian's funeral. I've done funerals where I think I might be the only Christian in the room... and it is hard, though Christ is always faithful to show up and preach His gospel of hope. Anyway, sitting in the funeral an old hymn came to mind. One I love... it is about a Christian receiving the news that another Christian has passed over through death. He wrestles with his "envy" of the resting Christian... yet rejoices in the security of the promise of God.

What solemn tidings reach our ears!
How awful. How grand!
A brother landed safe from fears,
On Canaan's happy land.

No clouds obstruct his son.
All be life and peace.
With him tis ever ever new,
Nor can his joy decrease.

Refrain
He's gone in endless bliss to dwell,
And I am left below,
To struggle with the powers of hell,
Till Jesus bids me go.

Though he's more happy I'm secure.
God's promise cannot fail;
O may I patiently endure,
My heavenly Father's will.

The counsel of the Lord shall stand,
And all his will be done;
I'll therefore wait in Meshech's land,
Until he fetch me home.

Blog Archive