Friday, July 20, 2007

Starting your day with IOUs

--below is by Tim Chester
In his book, When I Don’t Desire God, John Piper talks about how he starts the day with his ‘IOUs’ to God (read about it for yourself here). I’ve adapted them and added a pray. I’ve also added four affirmations about God, each with a prayer. I think most - maybe all - of our sinful behaviours and negative emotions arise when in practice we stop believing one of these truths. Earnestly praying through these pointers would be a great way to start each day.
  • I – Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain! (Psalm 119:36)
    Lord God, may I desire you and your glory more than anything else today.
  • O – Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law. (Psalm 119:18)
    Lord God, may I see you and your glory in your word and in your world today.
  • U – Unite my heart to fear your name. (Psalm 86:11)
    Lord God, may my whole heart desire you and your glory today.
  • S – Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days. (Psalm 90:14)
    Lord God, satisfy me with yourself and your glory today.


  1. God is good so I don’t need to look elsewhere for joy.
    Lord God, may I delight in you today and not in empty things.
  2. God is sovereign so I don’t need to be in control.
    Lord God, may I trust in you today and not in myself.
  3. God is great so I don’t need to fear other.
    Lord God, may I fear you today and not other people.
  4. God is gracious so I don’t need prove myself.
    Lord God, may I find my identity in you today and not in myself.

Blog Archive