Monday, May 05, 2008

Go Where God Has Met You Before

In thinking through this recent sermon rant on "heart renewal"... that was triggered by Christ's words of warning about a people who honor God with lips... but whose hearts are far from God...
I plan to say some very practical things this week about getting your heart in the presence of God. His Word is key... because there Jesus is most plainly revealed. And meditations upon God's Word are also powerful.... because they gather scripture truth in a form that is applealing to the imagination... and imagination is key in both being deceived AND in believing the gospel (but that is a whole other thing).... So, when wanting to warm your heart... Go where God has met you before: creation, biographies, special group of friends, etc. For me it is often through hymns. This morning I was reminded of the intimate access I have to Christ, and His identifying with us in our struggles.

I lay my wants on Jesus;
all fullness dwells in him;
he heals all my diseases,
he doth my soul redeem

I lay my griefs on Jesus,
my burdens and my cares;
he from them all releases,
he all my sorrows shares.

--H.Bonar

Blog Archive