Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I Missed Her Performance, But Enjoyed Delighting in Her

My ten year old daughter sings in a chorus at school. Her chorus always does performances in partnership with a percussion group from the school. The typical program is Chorus sings first, then percussion group plays while chorus stands in the back of the room.

Last night and this morning I arrived at her school during the percussion portion... which means I missed her singing. Last night I just left immediately... today I stayed and kept my eyes on one girl--my daughter!-- in the back of the room. My daughter, and the others, were impromptu dancing to the Rhythm of the percussion group. It was so obvious how much she was enjoying herself. All eyes in the room were on the stage... except mine. This father was not impressed with what was happening in the spotlight. My father's heart and eyes were irresistibly drawn to my child.

I wondered if there was something of God in that. I don't think He cares if we're doing our thing on stage or not... He finds us wherever we are and locks in on us... with eyes of delight and a heart of love.

What does it do to a child to not feel the love of a parent? What does it do to a Christian to not feel the love of their Heavenly Father?

I'm praying for you today, Christ Community,
I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

Blog Archive