Thursday, May 29, 2008

My new friend

Had lunch on the UF campus today with my wife and when leaving was able to interact with Mohamed, who was hosting the "Islam on Campus" table. Native of Egypt, he's getting a Phd in Pharmacy... specifically studying metabolism... what the body does to the med

Anyway, a sharp and "faithful" man. Very respectful of me and very open to answer questions I had. A couple of interesting nuggets:

ALL RIVERS LEAD TO THE SAME OCEAN... I'm sure you've heard that one... that all religions are the same... it is faith that matters... not the "system" you are in... what a delight to talk with a man who believes that concept to be as whacked as I think it is. I told him I respected his integrity & commitment to resist the shoddy thinking that all rivers lead to the same ocean.

TO LOVE AND FOLLOW THE WILL OF GOD, RIGHT?... that was his answer to my question: "What is your current understanding of the Christian message?" Amazing how many people think that Christianity is about being good. It was my humble privilege to tell Mohamed that the Christian message was much better than "try to be good".

Blog Archive