Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The theme of a Davidic king arriving to deliver Israel from her enemies is prominent throughout the Old
Testament. In 2 Samuel 7:11-16, Nathan prophesied about David, “`'The LORD declares to you that the
LORD himself will establish a house for you: When your days are over and you rest with your fathers, I
will raise up your offspring to succeed you, who will come from your own body, and I will establish his
kingdom. He is the one who will build a house for my Name, and I will establish the throne of his
kingdom forever. I will be his father, and he will be my son. When he does wrong, I will punish him with
the rod of men, with floggings inflicted by men. But my love will never be taken away from him, as I took
it away from Saul, whom I removed from before you. Your house and your kingdom will endure forever
before me; your throne will be established forever.’” The same thing is discussed in Isaiah 9:2-7; 11:1-9;
Jeremiah 23:5 ff. and a host of other passages throughout Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Hosea and Amos

Blog Archive