Friday, March 20, 2009

Where We are in Mark's Gospel

As we are spending 9 Sundays in the last week of Christ's life......the ground covered in Mark 11-16....this Sunday we come to:
--The Celebration & Utter Renovating of Passover
--Jesus' prediction of His disciples abandoning of Him
--Jesus wrestling with His calling in Gethsemane
-- His betrayal & arrest

I won't be able to talk about all that is in this rich chapter, Mark 14. So I'll post some nuggets that might not find there way into sermon.
(I've been tremendously helped by chapters 4&5 of "Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross)


The Cup
3 times he prays that it would pass.
"Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me." (Mark 14:36)

His Father, who utterly adores Him, says NO.
Then, after healing Malchus' ear, Jesus says, "Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?" (John 18:11)

Death and the curse were in that cup,
Oh Christ, 'twas full for Thee;
But Thou hast drained the last dark dregs,
'Tis empty now for me.

Blog Archive