Saturday, October 16, 2010

Christ's cross doth shine! God's Son hath set me free!

Only God can deliver a sinner from sin. He alone has
the power to change a sinner’s heart and thus to bring freedom from sin and
death. The way God does this is beautifully explained in one of the Four
Psalms composed by Edvard Grieg (1843-1907):


God’s Son hath set me free from Satan’s tyranny,
from base desire, enslavement dire,
from fear of death and hell’s hot fire.
Lord Christ did intercede, with God for me did plead;
he underwent my punishment, to torture, death, was sent.
I cannot fathom love so great however much I contemplate:
that he could be so merciful to me,
a sinner frail, whom naught could suit but tasting the forbidden fruit;
by day, by night, old Satan’s might my soul had captured quite.

The psalm ends with these triumphant words:
“O blessed sign! Christ’s cross doth shine, makes bliss eternal mine.
God’s Son hath set me free!”

Blog Archive