Sunday, September 28, 2008

Asparagus

I hate asparagus.

Intellectually I know that it is a part of God's creation. Intellectually I'm persuaded that asparagus is NOT sinful. But... functionally I cannot stand to be in the presence of asparagus.

When I see it on a menu or on the table my stomach does a little flip and encourages my body to run from the room.

I am not tempted to eat asparagus. I could be walking through an asparagus festival and not be tempted. There could be asparagus from all over the world. They could be serving it in every manner possible: fried asparagus, steamed, BBQ, raw, boiled, broiled, sautéed, blanched, roasted and I would not be tempted.
There could be my friends from all over the world and every stage of my life and I would not be tempted.

I do not want it in box i do not want it with a fox... I do NOT like asparagus!

Dear ones, I am not the weaker brother and my aversion to asparagus does not come under the "stumbling block" principle of Romans 14.

Paul is describing the "destruction of a brother". That is much MUCH more serious than my personal preferences, aversions, and convictions. He's describing someone who thinks to eat asparagus is a sin and is being tempted to go against his conscience. Going against conscience is like pushing a small snowball down a hill... it gets bigger.

.... developing...

(I'm not sure that asparagus was in the garden pre-Fall. Some scholars think it might be one of the weeds that entered upon the arrival of Sin.)

(I refuse to watch Veggie Tales b/c one of the characters was an asparagus.)

Blog Archive