Monday, September 15, 2008

What is your "Best Obedience"

i have been looking and listening and lingering on songs that teach & celebrate justification.... because we are trying to exalt the justifying work of our Triune God during September worship (and oh by the way, my weary heart needs it!)

Today I was moved by an Isaac Watts hymn (that the majician Sandra McCracken redid) called I Boast No More. It contains this image:

The best obedience of my hands
Dares not appear before Thy throne


And one of the questions that help me know the answer to this emerges:
"How do i know when i am beginning to "GET" justification?" How will i know if it is impacting me?

Well, think of something you've done or resisted doing. Seriously, what do people bring up to celebrate your spirituality? "You led that person to Christ".... "you are such a person of prayer"... "you reached out to me in love when I was hurting"... "you are always there when we need somebody"... "you are so bold in your evangelism"... "you helped me understand theology, even justification".... etc etc

Well... can you say, with Watts
"I would never consider bringing that with me when I stand before God."

If Christ is liberating you with the glorious news that HE IS YOUR RIGHTEOUSNESS and in Him you are GLORIOUSLY COMPLETE... you'll be free to know and feel:
The best obedience of my hands
Dares not appear before Thy throne


Whole song here

.

Blog Archive