Friday, September 05, 2008

I loved this professor i had

One of my (and Lammers & Matthews) profs at covenant seminary was David Clyde Jones. I'm not sure of age but seemed to me like a dude who was in his 30's during the late 60's and 70's. I seem to remember some pictures of him with long hair and some seriously groovy clothes, doing a wedding ceremony in Forest Park.

One quick memory... a student raised his hand and said, "Professor I have a question but I don't want to open up a whole can of worms here." To communicate 'I'm up for it' Jones promptly said, "Bon appetite!!"

So... Jones article on Christian freedom is so good. Here's excerpt:

For Calvin also Christian freedom was a matter of intense pastoral concern. "Its whole force consists in quieting frightened consciences before God. . .that are perhaps disturbed and troubled over forgiveness of sins, or anxious whether unfinished works, corrupted by the faults of our flesh, are pleasing to God, or tormented about the use of things indifferent." The doctrine of justification is the answer to the first problem, the doctrine of adoption the answer to the second, and the doctrine of creation the answer to the third.

Blog Archive